3.11.2010

Alice in Wonderland

I was never much of a fan of the original animated version of Alice in Wonderland.  As a kid, I was really afraid of most Disney movies, and Alice was one of them.  However, the Disney channel had a show called Adventures in Wonderland that I absolutely adored.  It had actors (I hated cartoons as a kid), and it was whimsical, colorful, and fun!  Did you ever watch it?  


Needless to say, when I heard they were making Alice again, I hoped it would be like my fun, colorful, and whimsical childhood favorite.  Then, I heard Tim Burton was making it, and knew that wasn't going to happen.  After watching Burton's version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, I had a horrible feeling he would ruin this for me too.  I absolutely hated his version of Charlie, and disliked how it made a fun story so dark, bizarre, and scary.  Although I feared his version of Alice would be the same, I definitely was intrigued and wanted to see it!

                                     

Last night my mom, cousin, and I went and saw it in 3D at the IMAX theater.  At first the 3D made me slightly nauseaus, but once I got used to it I really liked it (except for when she went tumbling down the rabbit hole, I had to take off the glasses).  Overall, the film was dark and pretty bizarre, but there was something I kind-of liked about it.  When I came home I told CAhusband I was glad I saw it, but didn't really care to see it again.  I don't really know if I would recommend it to others, but several people clapped at the end, and everyone was raving about it for the most part.  The costumes, make-up, and effects were definitely cool to watch; however, if I was a child it would have terrified me (although I was and am very easily spooked).



Have you seen, or will you see Alice in Wonderland? What did you think?

Blog Signature

4 comments:

Kat said...

I watched the Adventures in Wonderland show too! That brings back some memories..

I'm also debating on seeing this movie or not. I have a feeling I'll be seeing it this weekend because my family will want too. I've been disappointed by every Tim Burton film. My family loves Nightmare Before Christmas but for some reason I just can't seem to stay awake through it.

April said...

I want to see it sooo bad ... I really like Tim Burton. I think you have to take him with a grain of salt, and not expect his versions of books/movies to be like the originals. I liked Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and I think I will like this one as well :)

Mr and Mrs. Stoneking said...

I have not seen it... but I think I want to see it this weekend if my hubby will agree to go.

Virginia Belle said...

Oh man, I totally forgot about Adventures in Wonderland! I loved that show so much, it was probably my favorite on Disney! I'm not a hug Tim Burton fan but I definitely am on the 3D bandwagon after seeing Avatar in 3D. May be dragging Charlie to see it soon.