6.23.2010

Those bags from the East Coast

After traveling last week 2 things became very clear to me:
1. I hate flying across the county and being at the mercy of soulless airline workers
2. I absolutely love my Vera Bradley duffel bag, but since my current set is from 1997, it's time to invest in a new one

Now, I AM NOT of those Vera obsessed ladies who carried a rainbow paisley, quilted cotton purse; however, I love her bags for weekend trips, travel accessories, teacher tote bags, etc.  I currently have a pretty badly beaten duffel and hanger bag set (although for 13 years old (seriously), it still looks great), as well as lots of other little pieces for travel (jewelry bag, toiletry bag). 

Unfortunately, one thing became very clear to me once moving to CA.  People in SoCal DON'T DO Vera.  A month or so ago, I had my small tote bag that I carried to and from school with binders, etc. and one of my co-workers at J.Crew saw me.  All she said was, "Oh, look, you have one of those cute bags that people on the East coast carry."  Needless to say it was in a "oh that's lame" kind of way, rather than an "oh your tote really is cute" kind of way.  Also, in the Midwest (and possibly the East Coast too?) you can't go anywhere without seeing Vera Bradley in a store or on someone's bag.  On the other hand, out here, I literally haven't seen it anywhere, no teachers have it, not at the airport, not in a store. 

Regardless of the fact that these bags are not trendy, I love them for traveling.  I have decided that I need to invest in the following items:



Curling Iron Cover $17
My SIL has this and I'm obsessed with it.  My curling iron is always hot when I need to pack it, so I end up carrying it separately and sticking it in my bag at the last possible second.


Travel Cosmetic $48
My current cosmetic bag had to be trashed after my Shimmer Brick busted all over it and wouldn't come clean.  This kind has little pockets around the inside and is perfect!

Now, onto the patterns I'm torn between!  Keep in mind these are cute travel bags, not bags I carry to the mall, to dinner, etc.  Which would you pick?  (No I don't want Vera placemats, but this was the best way to show the patterns clearly). 
Make Me Blush

Loves Me

Poppy Fields


Do you love or hate Vera? 
Do you have a Vera Bradley duffel that is perfect for weekend getaways?
Which pattern would you choose?
Blog Signature

22 comments:

Tiffany said...

Agreed! The Vera duffle literally hold EVERYTHING! I like the pattern you showed on the large duffle.

Lauren said...

I like Vera as well! I have the hanging organizer for traveling and I love it. I also have some random make up bags that work great.

I wish they had the Make Me Blush pattern last time I got something, it's my favorite!

melissa said...

I totally agree about carrying Vera Bradley - I won't carry a Vera purse, but I love my large duffel and traveling accessories. The curling iron cover is awesome for my flat iron! I think the Make Me Blush pattern is cute.

A Wedding Story said...

Vera is VERY popular here in VA. Crazy popular! I used to carry Vera bags but now I do a school tote only. But, I do love my duffel!

Valerie said...

How funny, I've never even heard of Vera Bradley. Does that mean I'm out of the loop? Probably. Haha. I love the idea of that curling iron cover though!

xo
Valerie

Mrs. Hesson said...

I'm obsessed with Vera Bradley :) I love them all but my favorite is #1 :)

Tracey said...

I'm pretty sure I have a Vera bag in every size. I have the large duffle. It's great, but your clothes never stay in the same place. They always end up in balls by the end of the weekend.

I also have the curling iron case. LOVE IT! You can put it in right after you turn it off and pack it up. Definitely worth the purchase!

Got a make-up bag for Easter this year, but it doesn't have pockets like the one you picked out. Major bummer!

As for the prints, I like Make Me Blush or Poppy Fields! Too bad you don't have any stores out there, they are all over the place here and always on sale!

Kyle said...

Too funny! You are very right. I never see anyone carry Vera Bradely out here in CA. I do still carry my old Vera duffle bag when I travel - it is such an easy piece of luggage to have!

all things alyssa said...

That is too funny! I love Vera! It's a Texas staple also - I say load up on the Vera whether it's cool in Socal or not. :)

Lindsay said...

Vera Bradley is adorable. Very girl and fun!

Valene Marie said...

Okay so I've lived in SoCal all my life, born and raised and you're totally right people just don't do Vera out here. I love the midwest and even southern states and hope to move there one day and when I do I'll get some Vera because it just doesn't fit me out here ;)

Lil' Miss Sunshine said...

i feel like i'm the only person on the east coast that thinks those things are fugly lol! everyone has them but i just really think they're gross. it MIGHT be because i'm from socal but i've lived in the south quite some time! i loveeee your blog!

Mrs. Bear said...

I love Vera and anyone who doesn't can't be my friend. =0)

Green cupcake is my fav!

legalstyle said...

haha this is SO true! it's an east coast thing! I have a large duffel and a few random bathroom bags that I use quite a bit. Like tory burch, I guess? Which I've also been told is an 'east coast thing'?

PetiteGorgeous said...

Just found your blog, and am following now. I hope you are enjoying CA. I grew up there :).

If you haven't already, I hope you will enter my giveaway for a chance to win a J Crew pearl bracelet at petitegorgeous.blogspot.com

Ali said...

I've never owned anything by Vera, but I think all the stuff is too cute!

Day Old News said...

I like Makes Me Blush. I had a college roommate from NY who greatly influenced my style. When I moved back to Cali with Lilly Pulitzer dresses and Vera Bradley, my friends were not having it. I know how you feel!

sara said...

I still have my Vera travel bags from my college days 10 years ago! I think Vera has definitely gotten better over time - loving that curling iron cover! I think the Makes Me Blush print is my favorite.

Kelsey @ Seattle Smith's said...

I haven't ever gotten into VB ...

Virginia Belle said...

VB is huge here as you know! I've never had a VB purse or anything but love all of my travel stuff. My duffle is my go to weekend bag and carry-on. While I love my duffle and the lime green color :), I'm tempted to move towards a carry-on with wheels after lugging my bag through so many airports lately!

bluehydrangea said...

Too funny! I have 20 year old Vera Bradley paisley luggage and I have hesitated getting a new pattern because I have so many pieces in the old pattern and it still looks great!!! I love "loves me" pattern.

Jennifer said...

So funny, I am from IN too and I used to call Vera, "sorority luggage." Believe it or not, when I used to travel for work I saw it the most in the Louisville, KY airport. I have the large duffel which I love for weekend trips. Also handy is the makeup brush case, it keeps my makeup bag and its contents from getting powder, blush, etc all over.