12.29.2010

My 2010 Reading List

In the beginning of 2010 I made a goal to read 25 books this year.  I knew it was a lofty goal, and what do you know, I didn't quite make it.  I did read 21 books though, and I know if I count the chapter books I've read at school with my kiddos so far this year, I technically have met my goal.  I'll give myself an A for effort!

Some of my favorite bloggers, Rachel from In No Simple Language, Erin from Blue Eyed Bride, and Mel from For the Love have done a similar post to this, and I figure that since reading is a favorite hobby of mine I should do one too! 

Here are my books from last year...

 thewedding   5thvial ricochet firefly lane help2 timewife heartofthematter2 vision-in-white littlebee swimsuit-by-james-patterson bed_roses 9thjudgement Private savor_moment the-summer-we-read-gatsby ceeceewilkes eatpraylove Kindred_in_Death-50788 hunger_games(4) the-girl-who-played-with-fire neighbor

I doubt you all want to take the time to read a review on all of these books, so here are my hits and misses…

2010 Favorites:

  • Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah
    • This story of friendship over time is now an all-time favorite.  I laughed, I cried… I highly recommend it!
  • The Help by Kathryn Stockett
    • I was afraid this book would be sad so I put off reading it for a long time.  I finally caved, and am so glad I did.  This book was amazing, and I think I have recommended it 50 times since I finished it!
  • The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
    • This teen-lit was a real page-turner.  I can’t wait to read the rest of the series in 2011!
  • The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson
    • The 2nd book in the series did not disappoint, and had a much faster pace than the first! 

2010 Duds:

  • Heart of the Matter by Emily Giffin
    • I’m so over Giffin’s tales of adultery, and just wasn’t feeling this book!  I couldn’t relate to the characters at all.
  • Little Bee by Chris Cleave
    • This book seemed like it would be so profound, and well, I just couldn’t get into it.  It wasn’t bad, but I wouldn’t really recommend it.
  • Eat. Pray. Love. by Elizabeth Gilbert
    • This was my 2nd go-round with this book, and I finally finished it this time.  Again, I didn’t hate it, but I had a hard time sympathizing with her whining, and it dragged at times.

I’ve already got a huge list of “Must Read” books for 2011, and yes, my goal for 2011 will be 25 books too!  

What were your favorite reads of 2010?  Any recommendations for 2011?

signature

6 comments:

melissa said...

Love it! Yours is at least the third glowing recommendation I've read for Firefly Lane. It's officially going on my to-read list.

Anna Walker said...

The Wedding, and Time Travelers wife was so so so so so good! :)
Seriously!
Eat, Pray, Love was kind of a dud!

http://annawalker1992.blogspot.com/

AO xoxxo said...

Good list! My 2 fave books of 2010 were: Life After Yes, and The Island! Both very good!!

Mel said...

I just got Firefly Lane for Christmas so it's moving to the top of the list. Eat, Pray, Love was the worst. Ugh!

Natalie said...

Ok I definately need to read Firefly Lane. I totally agree Emily Giffin's last book was a dud. I really liked her previous novels so I surprised at this one. Have you read the Shack? It is a religious book but is a good story. I also really liked Same Kind of Different as Me.
What is on your list for 2011? I need some suggestions!

Ruthie said...

I was laughing out loud when I read your comments about "Heart of the Matter"! I was thinking the same thing through the whole book! Somehow she manages to make cheating look okay, when it is so not okay! Looking forward to more reviews!