8.31.2011

DIY: Pinboard Map

I originally got this idea for tracking our travels as a couple from Young House Love.  I loved their idea of using a map on a bulletin board to pin all of the places we've traveled together. 


To be honest, I really just wanted to buy one on Etsy, but quickly realized that they didn't exist for pre-purchase.  Then I snapped out of it... I didn't need to buy one, I'm more than capable, I can make one!
Once I decided to make my own I searched and searched for a vintage frame to spray paint white, but couldn't find anything that was the right size and right price.  I then remembered a framed bulletin board that I had purchased from Home Good awhile ago.  It wasn't just what I wanted, but it would definitely do the job. 

The frame was initially ivory, with a grayish antique finish, so I had CAhusband paint it with high gloss white spray paint.  I then found the perfect map at allposters.com, and bought some map pins at Office Depot. 
Once I had the 3 things I needed, the final product took no time at all!


Overall, I really love how it turned out.  Organizing and finishing our office is our project around the house for this fall, so it hasn't been hung yet, but I think it will look great.


The one problem is that CAhusband really dislikes that I am only pinning places that we've been together. I admit we don't look very well traveled this way, but I'm not caving.  His argument is that we've both been to New York; therefore, we should pin it, but I disagree.  This map will only represent the places we've traveled together.  I think it will only encourage us to travel more, and can't wait to add more pins together over time. 

What do you think?  Do you have any fun ways to track your travels?

Blog Signature

6 comments:

Virginia Belle said...

Too cute! I love this idea and may have to copy you. But do you think a world map would work too? I think it would be fun to pin places all around the world we've been but a world map would probably be too big? Either way, thanks for sharing this adorable idea!

Ryan K said...

I made one but with a world map...It's a great conversation piece, I keep mine in the office and every day I look up at it, it reminds me of all my fun travels :)

MJ @ Teaching in Heels said...

I love this idea! I think it'd be a fun gift for my boyfriend for us to hang up at home :) Great for reminiscing...

Natalie said...

we did this and i love it!! such a fun way to track our travels!

happy blogiversary by the way :)

Kristin said...

I think it turned out great!!

jilly said...

I did this for my hubby- with a twist. Yellow pins were for where I had been prior to marriage, blue for him. Green pins for places we have been together!