8.14.2011

Happy 50th Birthday Mom & The Help Movie Review

Today (Sunday) is my mom's 50th birthday! 

My dad had to move for his new job already, so he wasn't here to help her celebrate, which made me even more thankful that I was close by the spend the day with her.

My mom and I have always been close, but living so close to each other again over these last 2 year has made us even closer.  I can truly say my mom is my best friend out here in the desert, and I don't know what I'd do without her.  My mom cares so much for other people, and would do anything to help you without even batting an eye.  She also happens to be one of the strongest women I know, while also being loads of fun. 
I'm so glad that I had the opportunity to spend the day with my beautiful mom.  Although I know she will have another celebration once she moves to Virginia and meets my dad, I feel so lucky to have been able to have a day with her. 

Today we went to see The Help, and then got together with some family friends for a celebratory Italian feast at their house. It was a great little day together!


The Help is definitely one of my top 10 favorite books, and my mom loved it too, so it was perfect that we got to see it together on her birthday.  Movie versions of books typically tend to disappoint, and although I was so excited to see the movie, I was also hesitant that the emotional impact of the story might be lost.  The previews of the movie looked so fun, and I was a little nervous that they maybe left out some of the substance.

I'm happy to report that we both absolutely loved everything about this movie.  The casting was perfect, the story was spot-on, and I definitely want to see it again.  If you haven't seen it yet, I highly recommend you do (only if you've already read the book first, of course).


Did you see The Help this weekend?  What did you think?

Blog Signature

6 comments:

Lu said...

So glad to hear the movie was just as good as the book! My mom and I have a date to see it this weekend!

Aimee said...

I def want to see that movie! Glad you got some mom-daughter time!

Ari- Audrey Onassis said...

I did see it! I loved it, too! Like you, the trailer left me worried that the film may be too light-hearted, but it wasn't! I love that Sketter's mom was played by Ms. Perky from 10 Things I Hate About You!

Valene Marie said...

So funny, I'd also have to say my mom is one of my best friends out here in the desert of SoCal!

Jared and Kim said...

I loved The Help and have seen it twice already! I HIGHLY recommend that folks read the book before hand, just to have a better perspective of the movie. I agree: the movie perfectly highlighted each of the characters and the major issues in the book. I am a big, big fan! ;)

Deirdre said...

Thank you Peyt! It was a GREAT day, enjoyed spending it with you! Love You!