8.22.2011

Teacher Week: Meet the Teacher Monday

This week I'm foregoing my usual blogging to participate in Teacher Week, which is hosted by some of my favorite teacher bloggers over at Blog Hoppin'.  Although I'm not a teacher blogger, I'm a blogger who teaches, so I thought it would be fun to play along.  I really enjoyed participating in Teacher Week last year, and am really looking forward to reading the posts from all of you fellow teachers out there!

*If you're not a teacher, I promise I've got a week full of non-teacher related posts coming next week! : )

Today is Meet the Teacher Monday, and even if you aren't a teacher, this might help you to get to know me a little better.

I couldn't find any teacher pictures of myself without students in them, of course! 

Random Facts About CAwife:
  • I was born and raised in Indiana, and attended Purdue University. 
  • My husband and I have known each other for what seems like forever, and were even in the same fourth grade class.  We've been together ever since our freshman year of high school.
  • I am obsessed with carbs, and could make a meal of pasta, bread and potatoes any day of the week.
  • I love to read, and enjoy a little bit of everything!
  • I am already building a hardback picture book library for our future children.  I keep them at school so I don't scare my husband, and I don't let my students read them. (This totally makes me sound crazy).
  • I would give almost anything to be able to take my dogs to school with me.  They're crazy, so it would likely end in disaster, but I think they would be awesome classroom pets.
  • Although I enjoy life in CA, I can't wait to move someday.  With my parents moving away from our area, our closest relatives will now be in Indiana.  I can tolerate living far away from family for now, but am already scheming about ways I can get CAhusband to move further east eventually. 
Here is the rundown of my teaching history:

I did my student teaching in Kindergarten, and then taught 3rd grade in Indiana right out of college while CAhusband (then Indiana fiance) finished up his degree at Purdue.

We got married and moved to California the summer after my first year of teaching.  The job search was fruitless my first year out here, and I ended up subbing and working at J.Crew to stay busy.  In case you haven't heard, the teaching job situation out here in CA was/is abysmal.

Luckily, I met my friend Amy who worked at a private school in the area that fall.   She helped me land a part-time job at her school that spring, which turned into a full time 2nd grade job the following year. 
I taught 2nd grade at that private school last year, and had a wonderful year.  It was my first year teaching at a private school, and I loved that I still had access to a similar curriculum as public schools and a very small class size.  I won't say it was challenging at times, but it was a great experience.  At the end of last year; however, the church associated with our school decided to shut it down. This was due largely to the fact that the economy hit the private school market pretty hard, and this was putting a financial burden on the church. 

This year, I am going to teach 2nd grade again.  I will teach with the same curriculum, and mostly the same staff and families, just at a new school.  Basically, another church in the area was interested in expanding their current preschool and kindergarten, and worked with our staff and parents to add our grades 1-5 to their existing school.  I was asked to stay on as the 2nd grade teacher, and was so relieved to not have to begin my job search AGAIN! 

I think it will be a great opportunity to start a new school, and I'm really excited to get the year started.  For the first time, I will get to teach from the same curriculum for the second time.  I will obviously implement lots of changes, but it's so nice to be familiar with what I'll teaching this year.
Aside from teaching, I love to spend time with my husband and our 2 boxers, Piper and Reilly.  I love crafty projects, am trying to learn to cook, and have a serious shopping problem habit.

I'll be back tomorrow for the next installment of Teacher Week, Teacher Talk Tuesday!

Blog Signature

5 comments:

Ari- Audrey Onassis said...

I'm not a teacher, but I just love Teacher Week!

MJ @ Teaching in Heels said...

I would love to have the same grade 2 years in a row!! :) Happy Monday!

Deirdre said...

Love it! We're so proud of you! Hope you have a fantastic year!

Kim said...

Hahaha! I am so laughing at the whole book thing. I buy things for future kids and don't really point them out to my husband for the same reason!! Thought it was just me. :-)

Kristin said...

Same 4th grade class??? So cool!