6.13.2012

Summer Reading

Reading a large number of books is always one of my main summer goals, and so far I'm off to a great start.  In case you're looking for a great summer read, I wanted to share what I've been reading lately, as well as some of the other books on my reading list for the coming months.
One Day by David Nicholls
When I mentioned reading this book a month or so ago, a ton of you commented that you were very curious to see what I thought of it.  At first I really didn't like this book.  It was a slow read, and I couldn't quite get into the story.  Once I got through the first half though I really started to enjoy it.  I don't want to give too much away, but I will say that I hated the ending.  Overall, I'm really glad that I read it though.   I still haven't seen the movie, and plan to watch it soon!

50 Shades of Grey Trilogy by E.L. James
I'm a sucker for any book that gets a lot of buzz, so I couldn't resist this series after all of the attention it was getting.  I didn't read these books nearly as quickly as many of you did, but I definitely got sucked in.  Overall, the writing is pretty lackluster, and the plot parallels Twilight so closely that the story becomes predictable, but I did enjoy them.  The love story was entertaining, and well, the parts that got this book so much attention definitely made this prude blush more than once.  I'm glad that I read them though, and haven't talked to too many people that haven't enjoyed them. 

Insurgent by Veronica Roth
I couldn't wait to get my hands on the sequel to Divergent, but didn't really love this book as much as I'd hoped.  I think the biggest problem was that it has been months since I read Divergent, and I couldn't really keep all of the characters and factions straight in my head.  I think I would have enjoyed it a lot more if I'd read it right after finishing Divergent.  Overall, I'm still a huge fan of this series and recommend it, but I do suggest reading a thorough summary of Divergent first if it's been awhile!  Has anyone heard what the 3rd book will be called and when it's going to be released?  I have a feeling I'll be waiting a long while to see how this series ends!

Bloom by Kelle Hampton
I'd heard so many wonderful things about this book from several bloggers recently, and couldn't wait to read Kelle Hampton's memoir.  Kelle's story of having a daughter with Down Syndrome is touching and beautifully written.  This book is full of photographs that Kelle has taken of her family, and they really help add to the story.  I'm now a loyal follower of Kelle's blog, Enjoying the Small Things, and can't wait to continue to read about her family's journey.  I read this whole book in less than 24 hours and highly recommend it! 

The Next Always by Nora Roberts
I'm currently reading the first book in the Nora Robert's Inn Trilogy.  I loved her bride quartet, and so far this series seems to have a very similar feeling and I'm really enjoying it.  I'll be back with a full report once I get it finished.

Here are some other books I plan to read this summer:
  • 11th Hour by James Patterson
  • Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?  by Mindy Kaling
  • Come Home by Lisa Scottoline
  • The Last Boyfriend by Nora Roberts (Book 2 in the Inn Trilogy, Book 3 will be released in Nov.)
  • The Next Best Thing by Jennifer Weiner
  • Where We Belong by Emily Giffin (Available July 24th)
  • I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella
I'm always looking for more recommendations, so if you have any must reads, please pass them on! 

What do you hope to read this summer?

Blog Signature

12 comments:

Classy Fab Sarah said...

I'm thinking I need to read Divirgent here soon, cause Insurgent is waiting on my kindle and I'm dying to read it!

Newlyweds on a Budget said...

I'm trying to read 50 shades right now and just can't get into it! I'm barely like 120 pages in or so, (she's seen the chamber and they've done it like twice) but I just haven't had the need to pick it up again. I guess I better get to it because I have book club in like 2 weeks!

Rachael said...

I just finished a new book by Jane Green called Another Piece of my Heart which was great. Two Kisses for Maddy is another awesome book...have tissues handy though!

melissa said...

Sounds like we have pretty similar taste in books (as well as TV)! Loved this post.

I felt the exact same way about One Day - HATED the ending! The movie is so awful. One of the worst movies I've ever seen.

I wasn't a huge fan of 50 Shades but it was entertaining once I got past the poor writing. I feel like maybe she got an editor after the first book, as the writing seemed to improve a bit in the second two books.

Insurgent was a letdown for me as well. It had been quite some time since I read Divergent so I also had a hard time remembering the characters.

I want to read 11th Hour (I've read the first 10, can't stop now! Ha!) and Where We Belong also. Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me is hilarious - I really liked it. Liked The Next Best Thing as well.

I just started a new book that's getting a lot of buzz - Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. I'll let you know how it is. I also just read The Castaways by Elin Hilderbrand. A good summer read.

Jessi said...

Look Again by Lisa Scottoline was good as well.

Natalie said...

yay you're back!

let's see...i liked one day but it also took me awhile to get into. the movie was okay--not as good as the book but worth seeing to compare.

i've heard good things about divergent, guess i need to get on that!

just finished why is everyone hanging out without me? and loved it! she's hilarious!

i cried my way through bloom--if you want another tearjerker from a blog, read two kisses for maddie!

enjoy your reading :)

Kristen said...

oooh i just put some of these on my book list! i hated one day, it was so hard for me to get through. i didn't care for the characters, i hated the ending. blech.

kourtney said...

Have you read any of Jen Lancaster's books? I love her reads, they're quick, witty and funny. Her first book [I think] was Bitter is the New Black and her latest is Jeneration X. I love all of them! I also love Janet Evanovich's 'Stephanie Plum' books. [A movie just came out on the first one] They're numbered so the first is One for the Money.

Sarah said...

I felt the same way about One Day. I can't make myself watch the movie now that I know what happens in the end.

I really enjoy all of Lisa Scottoline books!

Mrs C said...

I just finished I've Got Your Number.. it's the best Sophie K's book by far! Better than Can You Keep a Secret which I thought was an A+ already.. I have a few books to read this summer too and once I read, I read ;) Happy reading!

Come see my latest blog post:
http://mrsjackofalltradesdaily.blogspot.com/2012/06/black-white-and-lace.html

Deirdre said...

Just finished Saving CeeCee Honeycutt and loved it... made me laugh, made me cry... Beth Hoffman's first and I'm a fan!

Lauren Drylie said...

Hello there!

I decided to leave a comment and follow your blog because we seem to have very similar taste in books :)
I also read the bride quartet series by Nora Robert's, and I've read both of the Inn Trilogy books and can't wait for the last. I agree with you on One Day also, an overall good book but a little hard to get into in the beginning. And the Shades of Grey...definitely with you on that too! Writing was eh but you still couldn't help getting hooked. And the similarities with Twilight were a bit too much. Anyways just wanted to stop by to say hello, come see me sometime, I just got started with my blog! Laurenad09@blogspot.com