If I'm remembering correctly I wanted to read 30 books this year (yes, I'm too lazy to look back at my post to make sure). I fell short on that goal, mainly due to the fact that I got stuck on one book for about 5 months once the school year started (The Next Best Thing, in case you were wondering).
Overall, it was a year of pretty bleh reading for me (lots of James Patterson, and a Lisa Scottoline kick I started the year with). Although there was nothing too spectacular, I did manage to find a few gems that I recommended in 2012.
(not pictured: Rosato and Associates books 1-6)
I have given each of the books below a starred rating 1 through 5:
1. Everywhere That Mary Went (Rosato and Associates Series) by Lisa Scottoline *****
2. Final Appeal (Rosato and Associates Series) by Lisa Scottoline ****
3. Running From the Law (Rosato and Associates Series) by Lisa Scottoline ***
4. Legal Tender (Rosato and Associates Series) by Lisa Scottoline ***
5. Rough Justice (Rosato and Associates Series) by Lisa Scottoline *
6. Mistaken Identity (Rosato and Associates Series) by Lisa Scottoline **
7. The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks ****
8. One Day by Dave Nicholls ****
9. Fifty Shades of Grey by EL James ***
10. Fifty Shades Darker by EL James ***
11. Fifty Shades Freed by EL James ***
12. Insurgent by Veronica Roth ***
13. Bloom by Kelle Hampton *****
14. The Next Always by Nora Roberts ****
15. Private Games by James Patterson ****
16. Guilty Wives by James Patterson ****
17. Kill Alex Cross by James Patterson **
18. 11th Hour by James Patterson ***
19. The Last Boyfriend by Nora Roberts ****
20. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn *****
21. Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker ****
22. Where We Belong by Emily Giffin *****
23. I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella *****
24. Private #1 Suspect by James Patterson **
25. The Innocents by Francesca Segal **
26. The Middle Place by Kelly Corrigan *****
27. The Next Best Thing by Jennifer Weiner **
28. I Was Told There'd Be Cake by Sloane Crosley ***
Overall, the most memorable books for me this year were Gone Girl and Bloom. I loved them both for very different reasons, and highly recommend them to anyone and everyone. I was also really pleasantly surprised by how much I liked Sophie Kinsella's newest book, I've Got Your Number. I found it easy to read and really quite enjoyable. I was also happy that the most recent Emily Giffin book, Where We Belong didn't disappoint (as her 2 previous books had).
The 50 Shades books had to be read given all of the hype, and were complete crap. That being said, the story draws you in, and I'm glad I read them.... if only to participate in conversations about how bad they truly are.
I really wanted Insurgent to be better, and thought it was pretty dull. The Innocents and The Next Best Thing were other books I had high hopes for, that I really struggled to get through.
Did we read any of the same books in 2012? What did you think?
Anything I need to add to my MUST READ list for 2013?
Book lists from years past: